Dear Parish Parents:
We want to thank you for your patience and understanding as we all navigate our changing educational landscape during this global coronavirus pandemic. Division Heads and Paul Tidmore, Director of Educational Technology, have been diligently planning for a seamless transition to distance learning. The amount of support from faculty and staff has been incredible. While our plan is robust, it is untested and we will need everyone’s continued patience as it unfolds.
We will begin our distance learning plan this Wednesday, March 25, 2020. Parish is defining distance learning as an environment where faculty will use their normal, face-to-face teaching methods via electronic media. We are committed to keeping relationships with our students central by connecting and communicating with them often through multiple and varied modalities.
Middle and Upper School
Google Meet will provide us a platform to gather virtually and record our advisory and teaching sessions.
- MS and US Advisors will be sending out notification to their advisories with instructions to attend a Google Meet session on Wednesday, March 25 at 9:00 a.m.
- During this Google Meet session, advisors will preview students' divisional schedule, best practices for distance learning and the expectations for coursework.
- Parents are welcome to join the advisory session for better understanding of the program.
- MS & US will still take attendance. All sessions will be recorded if a student is unable to attend. Please continue to use our attendance emails firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Note: MS & US Parent Conferences sign-up was supposed to open today; however, Parent Conferences are being postponed. Division Heads will update you with new dates and process as soon as details are established.
The Lower School model will look different because our learners require more parent support to learn at home.
- LS created a time schedule to allow for a consistent routine.
- Parents may adjust this schedule as needed to fit with the schedule of the household given the unique circumstances of each family.
- LS classes will meet once daily during a Google Meet session (which will be recorded), and then teachers and students will utilize the Seesaw platform for delivery of instruction and completion of lessons and assignments.
- LS will continue to use attendance emails: LSHattendance@parish.org or LSMattendance@parish.org.
- On Wednesday, March 25, parents will receive written instructions from their student's LS teachers as we ease into the Seesaw platform.
- Beginning Thursday and Friday (March 26 & 27), LS students will watch videos from their teachers which will explain activities and lessons.
- On Monday, March 30, students will begin their Class Meetings with their teachers according to the schedule linked below.
Important resources and contact information
- Please have students (5th - 12th grade) make sure they can log in to their Parish Google Account and myPARISH portal account. If they cannot log in, please follow the troubleshooting guidelines found here.
- Create a comfortable and distraction-free learning space.
- MS & US students should follow their schedules and check email daily.
- MS & US students should check myPARISH every period for class resources and assignments.
As we begin to settle into our distance learning program, please regularly check your email for important updates from Division Heads who will be communicating about changes to previously calendared programmatic events; regular Division Head emails will come each Friday. Likewise, Mr. Monaco will continue updating the community regarding Parish's closure on a weekly basis as the guidelines from local and national health authorities evolve.
We hope that you all remain safe and healthy during this challenging time. We are here to help and guide you as we continue to prepare our students for the ever-evolving future, including continuing to provide support from our centerED social & emotional counselors - Elaine Charles (PreK - 2nd grade), Ashley Childs (3rd - 8th grade) and Michelle Murray (9th - 12th grade).
Again, we thank you for your patience and continued support during this time. Should you have any questions or issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.
Associate Head of School
Head of Lower School
Dr. Jennifer Wilson
Head of Middle School and Assistant Head of School
Head of Upper School